Wednesday, May 4, 2011

This fit foodie had one fine day.

Yesterday was great. A fine specimen of a day, actually. Although not at first. My alarm went off at 5:00AM as I had to be at the gym by 5:45AM for a client. But on Monday, I got sucked into an episode of "Castle" (which I never watch), so I got to bed later than usual. And subsequently didn't get out of bed until 5:25AM, so it's a very good thing that the gym is a sneeze away because I arrived on time and ready to train. It was all up from there. With the sun.


Up with the sun, high into the blue sky.

Hello, spring! I love you. Why? Because when you live where I live, spring means warm weather. And that warm weather leads to one thing: The beach. So out of curiosity, I walked myself down to our beach.



As seen from the bluff, but I wanted a closer look.


Don't worry, I'm what they call "a resident" (for real).

It's not a big beach, but it's there. For now. One rainstorm can literally take it away, that's how frequently the shoreline changes. There wasn't much of anything down there at all last summer, which was sad because this beach is literally steps from our door, so we trekked over to the closest public beach which was usually a zoo times two. The only thing we dislike about "our" beach: The steps. Seriously, they're ridiculous and I don't care how fit you are, they'll knock the wind right out of your lungs. Especially if you're lugging a bunch of beach gear.  But it doesn't stop us from walking down on a hot summer day. We love "our" beach (when it's there).

And I love food. Rough transition between topics, I know. But this is another reason why I had a great Tuesday. Call me a fit foodie, I won't care. I think food is wonderful. Not only is it delicious when prepped correctly, it can be very good for the body. SHOULD be very good for the body as food is our life source, really. I don't claim to have a perfect diet, but I do my best so that I don't have to feel guilty when I indulge in things like cupcakes and pizza. But again, I do my best. And that's why I am constantly keeping up on the greatest of recipes. Take a look:

 Magazine subscriptions, printouts from fabulous websites. Even cookbooks.

But it was a recipe in Cooking Light that led me to this creation.

Alright, so this might have been Monday's lunch. But it set the tone for Tuesday's lunch, which was equally divine.

I made Ashley's Banana Cornbread Cake with some cheater frozen veggies from Green Giant. If you love cornbread, you'll love Ashley's version.  I followed her recipe almost perfectly, swapping in whole wheat flour and oats where appropriate. And of course, I drizzled it with a bit of honey because you can't have cornbread without honey. In fact, what you see above is only half of the entire cake. I put the rest in the 'fridge for another time. Gosh, I can't stop thinking about it. And since it was so nice out, I at my lunch on our patio after having strategically placed our chairs in spots that would put me in a little bit of sun.

Key words: Little bit. Our patio gets shady fairly quickly, but the sun really was shining.

But anyways, at the risk of boring you with a few more words, I will leave you with today's daily dose of fit: Work on your relationship with food. Learn to love it in a way that's healthy. Make it fun, make it a friend of your fitness (and of your waistline).

I know, I know...you've heard this before. But it's worth repeating, no? More fitness tomorrow. I'm thinking you need another lower body workout. (Well, not "need"...more like I'm hoping you might be interested in one.)

Question: Did anything happen on your Tuesday that made it one fine day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...