Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter

My parents still give me an Easter basket. I'm 31 years old and I look forward to it every year (like I look forward to my Christmas stocking). If we happen to be celebrating the holiday at their house, they hide it somewhere and I'm forced to play the hot/cold game. I walk around from room to room as they scream "warmer...warmer...getting warmer...FREEZING...warmer, hot, BURNING" until I find the goods.

The goods are usually pretty great. Like a clutch from Target. Or a collapsible yard waste bucket, which happened to be this year's "basket." And these things never go empty, so right now I've got quite the stash of Easter candy (damn them). And no stash of Easter candy is complete without a Cadbury Egg or two.

They make me sick, but I (sinfully) eat one (or two) every year. I can't resist. And since I typically give up chocolate for Lent, I literally drool over this classic commercial the minute it starts airing:




But man, talk about a shock to the system! Cadbury Eggs are not exactly the epitome of health—I'm fairly certain it's pure sugar. But I don't eat pure sugar that often, and when I need a chocolate fix, I hit up the local candy shop for some chocolate-covered almonds. I make exceptions in my diet for special treats. That's life, right? You have to be able to find the balance between good and bad. Well, between good and slightly sinful. Especially when it comes your diet. If you don't, you'll go crazy.

It's all about perspective, portion and planning.

Perspective: Cadbury Eggs come out once a year, so have one if you feel so inclined.
Portion: But only have one.
Planning: If you eat healthy, one won't destroy your diet for good.

Treats are called "treats" for a reason, right?
When you abuse the "treat," it's no longer something special and that's when it starts to affect your overall approach to eating healthy and living the fit life.

Some perspective:



Source: xkcd



Remember: Perspective, portion and planning.
I wish you the happiest of Easters. And I hope you have a treat today.

Question: What is your favorite Easter treat of all time? Do you still get an Easter basket? 

1 comment:

Jen @ Peanut Butter and Peppers said...

Happy Easter! Wow! I had no clue that a Cadbury Egg has less sugar than soda! I can't get over two cadbury eggs equals one can of soda in sugar. I am so forwarding your blog today to my Step-daughter who drinks soda like there's no tomorrow.

Now personally I haven't had a Cadbury Egg nor soda in years,but now I want to have one. Not soda but egg. But if I remember they are way to sweet!!

Have a wonderful Easter!!!

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...