Thursday, January 23, 2014

Doubt your limits. (#pinspirationthursday)

Whenever I train for a race or work really hard toward a goal, the slightest mishap or challenge makes me second-guess myself. For example, when I trained for the Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon last summer, I developed some knee pain that had me contemplating my strategy. Could I really run two half marathons so closely together? (I had just completed the Chicago Women's Half Marathon.) And when race day came, I very literally scared myself silly when the heat index jumped to fairly unmanageable levels.

I believed in my limitations.
I let them get underneath my skin.

Ultimately, I doubted myself. I lost all faith in my training, my drive and my will to succeed. And then I brought out the cheerleader within so that she could shout louder than those doubts.

And guess what? I set a new PR because of it.
Today's lesson:

Pin / Source
Question: How do you cope with self-doubt? What do you do to overcome limitations that affect your health and fitness goals? Are you currently experiencing any of these limitations?

8 comments:

Kelly McNelis said...

Just wanted to say that that is a great inspirational quote. It applies to so many situations. I shared my "natural birth tips" on my blog today, and it really rings true with me for that situation too. Thanks!

Melissa said...

Fantastic post! Definitely a big struggle of mine and it is somewhat comforting to know that even the super-fit, highly motivated people deal with the same self-doubt issues I do. My biggest hurdle is most definitely myself and lack of confidence in my exercise/health/motivation potential. While I am feeling good now, it definitely ebbs and flows. Thank you for the little push to keep going :-)

Kat Condon said...

PREACH!! This is a fantastic post. So often we let our brains get in our way. So many athletes have said that it really is all mental for them. They've done the work, they know they are fit - the trick is getting into the right frame of mind. It happens to me ALL.THE.TIME!!

adailydoseoffit said...

If only we could ban negative self talk forever! There's no better feeling than achieving what you thought was the impossible.

adailydoseoffit said...

I think it's just a part of human nature, really...but I so wish we could all just overcome it and have faith in ourselves!

adailydoseoffit said...

Don't let the super-fit, highly motivated people fool you! They're human, too! The ebbs and flows are what MAKE us human! Push on, girl. You're worth it!

adailydoseoffit said...

I can totally see how it would! Thanks, Kelly!

timlittlepublisher said...

I have my hands full jogging with two small dogs in the middle of winter when the temperature is below O and the snow banks are up to your ankles because of an early morning snow
randolph
engineering aviator

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...