Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Workout Wednesday: 20-Minute Bodyweight Workout

Okay, so first and foremost, I haven't actually done this workout yet. Obviously I'm toning things down a bit in the home stretch to labor and delivery—I didn't want any of y'all thinking I was going crazy over here with the high intensity bodyweight work. Much to my dismay (because it's my favorite), I can't do these types of workouts right now. But I can still piece them together for you and for my clients (insert evil laugh here).

So, let's get to it: A total-body, no-equipment-necessary workout that should (theoretically) last you 20 minutes. My guess, however, is that you'll come in a few minutes over because you'll want to factor in rest/water breaks. Still, this is a do-anywhere, quick-and-dirty type of workout.

The rules: Five exercises, one minute each, repeated four times through. Reps don't matter, get yourself through the minute at a pace that works for you and while doing each exercise with proper form. Breathe deeply through each exercise, and hydrate. AND (obviously) warm up and cool down.

Ready? Top row first, left to right, then bottom row. Left to right.



Some clarifications:

1) Wall Kicks: Stand facing a wall, hands on the wall. Tap the wall with your feet, alternating (of course). Kind of like toe-taps on a BOSU, if you know what that is.

2) Pushups with Slow Froggers: Perform your pushup, and when you hit plank position at the top, bring your right knee up to your right elbow. Return to plank, repeat with your left knee, then do another pushup and repeat.

3) Around the Clock Lunges: Start forward with your right foot, lunge to 12:00. Back to start, then out to 3:00. Hit 6:00, then hit it again with the left food and make your way back up to 12:00.

4) Dead Man Burpees w/Jump: This is a regular burpee, except you fall flat to the floor after you pop out to plank position. Pick yourself up to plank, pop in to squat, jump up and repeat.

5) Sprinter Crunches: Think knee to elbow, upper body halfway up to a full sit-up position.

If you need further descriptions for any of the above exercises, please let me know. I'd be happy to expand in the comments below if necessary. As always, exercise at your own risk. What's shown above may or may not be appropriate for your personal fitness levels. Use sound judgement whenever you try a new exercise and, if necessary, consult your physician for further advice.

Question: What is your favorite bodyweight exercise?

6 comments:

Christyruns said...

Looks like a great workout, will pin for another day, since I already did mine today,

adailydoseoffit said...

Awesome, thanks! Come back and lemme know how it goes! Once this baby bump is gone, I'll be doing it, too!

Kate Scott said...

I love these kinds of workouts because I only have to do each one for 60 seconds--or at least that's what I tell myself. ;)

adailydoseoffit said...

Quick, dirty and effective :-) The best kind of workouts!

Johnny Hart said...

Its great stuff here. I also workout in gym 3 days in a week but I spent 15-20 minutes per each exercises. Rest of days I go with jogging and yoga and it make me healthy and tension free.

adailydoseoffit said...

Thanks, Johnny! "Healthy and tension free"...best reasons to exercise, right?!

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...