Sunday, August 17, 2014

Scenes From a Long Run

I don't know how you feel about having long runs in your training plan, but I happen to love them. I purposely time them for the weekend so I can run without feeling rushed to get home. I like to enjoy long runs as much as possible because, quite honestly, running for more than five miles straight isn't exactly thrilling. But it can be somewhat entertaining if you pick the right route.

I happen to live in a bustling little beach town and at this time of year...well, there's a lot to look at. So I pick routes that take me right through the heart of it. The people watching is awesome but I can't be caught staring so I always wear my shades. 

Kidding. There's no time to stare when you're running, right? It was a sunny day and I hate having to squint. So, cool shades it was. (At least I think they're cool.)

Anyway.
First up: The train.

There's a wicked hill that's actually a bridge over the above tracks. I opted to run down it this weekend (in favor of another, equally challenging up hill in the back half of my run). As I approached the hill, I heard the train sound its alarm so I ran faster to see it. It's always kind if fun to be standing on the bridge when it passes underneath.

At the bottom, I found this sign:

There's always something going on in my little beach town. I see these signs a lot when I run this route because it shoots me down by the beach:


Apparently, I was up earlier than all the tourists. So nice to see a calm, quiet beach at this time of year! I guarantee it was bustling not long after I took this picture. Same goes for all the streets downtown.

Like the empty beach, it's rare to see empty sidewalks at this time of year! I love running through town when it's quiet. It becomes my town again and I don't to have to share it with the tourists.

Don't get me wrong, the tourists are totally welcome in these parts, it's just...louder when they're here. And harder to eat at all of our favorite restaurants—but it's never too hard to stop in Biggby for the obligatory post-run latte:

I purposely start my long runs in their parking lot. Yep, totally do.

So, but check this out :

My beloved Sayonaras are ripping. Literally, a hole is forming. It's go-time for new shoes. Like, seriously go-time.

Also go-time for an oil change, which is where I stopped on the way home. I stashed this Dark Chocolate Mocha Almond KIND bar in my wristlet because I knew I'd be hungry. 



Guys, buy this KIND bar if you see it in the store. It's no joke.

Question: How do you schedule your long runs? On the weekend or during the week? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...