Tuesday, February 10, 2015

What's on your reading list?

Confession: I literally spent an hour on the couch last night, fully and completely immersed in the The Bachelor. I don't even like The Bachelor. The whole time I sat there, I kept telling myself to pick up a book, a magazine...something. But I could not disengage. I think, in all honesty, it was an excuse for me to sit on the couch and do nothing.

I don't do that a lot.
Like, if ever.

Even when I watch Scandal or Downton Abbey, I'm typically folding laundry.

And this is probably why I have a reading list that's a mile long. I keep screen capping recommendations on my phone, or pinning must-read lists. And our mail lady keeps bringing me more magazines:

magazine subscriptions, marie claire, runner's world, parents, oxygen, IDEA fitness journal, women's health, reading, read
So this post...I'm putting all of my must-reads onto a list right here, right now. And I'm going to tackle each item one-by-one until I make it through. Which means, of course, that I also need to disengage not only from crappy television (The Bachelor, not Scandal or Downton), but from my iPhone as well. Because I'm addicted to it. For real.

I'm already a few pages into Train Like a Mother.

I read their first book and absolutely loved it. And since I'm doing my best to train for a Spring distance race, I need all the motivation I can get. Sarah and Dimity, never ones to disappoint in that department.

Also on the list:

reading, read, meghan daum, the one thing, essentialism, starbucks experience
1) Life Would Be Perfect If I Lived In That House (Meghan Daum)
2) The One Thing (Gary Keller)
3) Essentialism (Greg McKeown)
4) The Starbucks Experience (Joseph Michelli)

Hopefully I don't add up too many late fees in an effort to get through all of the above. You bet I make use of the book renewal process, but still.

Another confession: I paid a $15 late fee in order to check out the above. I'm the worst.

Other books that I'm curious about (in no particular order):

1) Outline (Rachel Cusk)
2) The Unspeakable: And Other Subjects Of Discussion (Meghan Daum)
3) The Girl On The Train (Paula Hawkins)
4) Yes, Please (Amy Poehler)
5) Cooked (Michael Pollan)

I betcha this list grows and grows as I discover more books.
Do you keep a book list?

Speaking of lists, I picked up my medal from this weekend's 5K.
Still can't believe I was at the top of the list in my age group.

Ice Fest 5K, Chocolate Run, Running


Question: What book have you been dying to read? Have you read any of the above? Which ones and did you like them?


6 comments:

Tenecia said...

This might make me a terrible librarian....bbbuuuttt...I don't read a lot of non-fiction! I am making myself read one non-fiction book a month and so I am currently reading "Live Your Dreams" by Les Brown.

T.

adailydoseoffit said...

I used to NEVER read non-fiction, but it seems to be the majority of what I gravitate toward these days!

Kara Cullen said...

Download the app, goodreads. It is a great tool to help decide what to read next, it is like the Facebook for books. You can also set a goal for the year as to how many books you want to read.

You will not be disappointed with The Girl in the Train. I read it in 2 days, I could not put it down. I'm reading Gillian Flynn's first book, Sharp Objects. Took me a bit to get into it, and it is very dark. Gone Girl was better in my opinion. Really into suspense/thriller/books with a good twist right now!

adailydoseoffit said...

I had Goodreads at one point...need to get back into using it. Check out Tana French...murder/mystery/thriller. I have 3 of her books if she interests you. So good...not typically my style, but could not stop reading them.

Annmarie said...

I haven't read in forever and it makes me so sad :( I LOVE reading...thinking I need to make it my goal for next month once things slow down!

adailydoseoffit said...

I hear ya! I blame it on my iPhone. Haha! Among other things, of course. I'm trying to FORCE myself to pick up books and magazines instead of electronics.

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...