Wednesday, July 19, 2017

60-Minute Spinning Workout

"Wanna go for a bike ride?" My kids ask me this all the time. So do the members at my gym—I haven't been teaching Spinning lately. My schedule changed, and it forced me to hand over my class. Sad, because Spinning class is always a good time (and a good workout) and I've been missing it. I did fill in a few weeks ago and, man...it felt good to be back in the saddle.

A post shared by Tara (@adailydoseoffit) on


I thought it would be fun to share that cycling workout with you.

First and foremost, if cycling workouts are new to you, I highly suggest you schedule some time with a certified cycling instructor. You'll want expert instruction on bike setup and safety. If and when you're clear on all of that, you'll be ready to pedal. Spinning workouts are highly adaptable to a variety of fitness levels, but:

Exercise at your own pace at all times. I am a certified cycling instructor, but I don't know your specific fitness challenges, so I can't say for sure whether or not this ride is for you. Proceed accordingly, honoring you body the entire way through to prevent serious injury.

Let's refresh on a few cycling terms.

Working flat: Find this by adding a gear or two to the bike when you're pedaling easily. You'll feel a slight tug on your pedal, however you won't feel like you're going up a hill. It will bring your heart rate up slightly. This is also where you might recover from heavier climbs.

Sprints: Give it everything you've got! However, you must stay in control of the bike.

Standing flat: Exactly what it sounds like. Stand up, keeping your hips over the pedals. Your glutes might tap the very end of your saddle.

Climb: Whether moderate or heavy, seated or standing, this is where you pile on the resistance accordingly. RPMs will slow down. Heart rate will increase.

RPMs: Some bikes have a computer system with this information built in. The following ride assumes that your bike does. If you do not have a computer, tune into the hill, flat or sprint and ride accordingly and consistently from one hill, flat or spring to another.

Let's talk about heart rate for a second.

I speak very generally about heart rate throughout this ride. I don't know if you have a heart rate monitor, or if you know your max heart rate. Truth is, you can still get a great ride without that information. You will need to stay in tune with your rate of perceived exertion. Or, how hard you are working. And, as always, you can pull back if the intensity gets to be too much.

Here's the ride:

spinning, cycling, bike riding, cardio, workout, kaiser, group fitness
Some other Spinning posts you might be interested in:

Indoor Cycling Playlist with Music from the 80's
Spinning Playlist with Rolling Hills
45-Minute Spinning Playlist
Should you buy Spinning shoes?
8 Tips for Taking Your First Spinning Class
How to Make the Most of Your Time In Spinning Class
How to Stretch After Spinning
Spinning During Pregnancy: How to Ride Safely When You Are Expecting

Question: Are you a fan of Spinning classes? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...